MENU

April 17, 2011

Black Pigs...

On Thursday during the craft portion of my storytime I had the children coloring pigs and I had one little girl who started to color her pig in black. As she was coloring it she kept saying that she was coloring it in black because "Black is the color of bad guys" and that the pig was a bully -- She also said that "Black is the color of bullies" and that "Black was a bad color" and that "Bullies are only black". I was kind of in shock because she kept saying it and the other kids were starting to repeat what she was saying. I told her and the other kids that black wasn't a bully color, it was just a normal color like all of the other in the crayon box.

When I was done with storytime her nanny swept her away so I didn't have a chance to say anything. I told my Department Head, who couldn't believe what the child had been saying. I had never seen this child before so I don't know if she is being bullied by someone or if her parents are teaching her to be racist. I kind of hope I don't have to deal with her again.

No comments :

Post a Comment