MENU

July 17, 2012

I Hate School Summer Reading Lists...

I swear I don't understand why parents get so upset when we don't have copies of their kid's suggested summer reading books in at this point in the summer. First off, it is the middle of July and I know for a fact that you got your kid's summer reading list over a month ago. YOU made the decision to wait weeks to come in here and now that you're here you're getting angry with me because none of the books on your kid's SUGGESTED reading list are in. I'm sorry, we only have a handful of copies of each book and the patrons that came in as soon as they got their copies lists took them and get to keep them for at least twenty-eight days, if not more if they decide to renew them.

In addition to all of that, I don't understand why people have a hard time grasping the concept of a suggested book list.  
SUG·GEST verb \səg-ˈjest, sə-ˈjest\ 
c: to mention or imply as a possibility
Your child is allowed to read books not mentioned on the list as long as the book is on the proper grade/reading level for them. Why do parents think the list is the end all be all?

The worst part of this whole thing is that I always offer to put an interlibrary loan on the book(s) we currently don't have on the shelves whenever we run into this problem with a patron and then the they make me put a copy of each and every book on hold for them. Really?! Is your kid really gonna read all of those books? I don't think so... Talk to your child, see what book(s) they are interested in and I'll put those on hold. That or you can go buy them.

I really hate school summer reading lists.

1 comment :

  1. Hola! I see we've been hooked up by 20SB for the blog swap. How do we play this? Rules, no-no's, safe word?! I'm on icyhighs@gmail.com
    Let me know. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete