MENU

February 25, 2013

Lay's Do Us A Flavor™ Finalist Taste Test/Review...

This might sound odd, but we're really into trying new potato chip flavors at my job. Whenever one of us goes somewhere and we find a flavor of potato chips we haven't seen/tried before we buy a bag and bring it back so we can all try it together. So as you can guess when Lay's came out with the finalist flavors (Cheesy Garlic Bread, Chicken & Waffles and Sriracha) from their Do Us A Flavor™ contest we had to get our hands on them. I happened to be the lucky one to find all three flavors at a Stop & Shop on the island and I obviously picked up a bunch of bags so I could try them out with the ladies at work, as well as with my family.
Since I saw my family first I did the first taste test, review or whatever you'd like to call it with them. We busted open the chips and I made everyone try the same flavor at the same time, then express their thoughts on it.

We kinda weren't thrilled by any of them. I mean, I made everyone choose their favorite out of the three but none of us were bowled over by the flavors. My mother who really wasn't happy with any of them picked Sriracha, my sister went with Chicken & Waffles, her boyfriend decided on Sriracha, Nella when given the choice of the three sniffed all of them and went with Sriracha, while I decided on Cheesy Garlic Bread.

It might sound silly, but we kinda liked them when eaten at the same time. We kinda made a "sandwich" out of them with two pieces of the Cheesy Garlic Bread with a Sriracha and Chicken & Waffles in between. The three of them combined seemed to have a better flavor than each individual chip.
Just like my family, my coworkers weren't impressed with any of the flavors when they tried them. None the less, as I did with my family, I forced them all to pick their favorite out of the bunch and they all decided on Sriracha.

Everyone in both of the tastings agreed that there was something lacking from all of the flavors or that there was something extremely artificial tasting about the chips. The Sriracha for instance wasn't spicy enough for peoples liking, while Chicken & Waffles just tasted like fake maple syrup to all of us and the Cheesy Garlic Bread tasted like a not so good mixture of Sour Cream & Cheddar chips with some garlic thrown in.

Overall, this was a fail Lay's part and I'm totally disappointed because I normally like their chips.

VOTES
Cheesy Garlic Bread = 1
Chicken & Waffles = 1
Sriracha = 8

6 comments :

  1. New follower here from GFC Blog Hop. So nice to meet you!
    Re the chips, I'm SO dieting right now that I could easily polish off all the rest of those for you!
    nancy
    http://nancyvnjourney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to meet you too!

      LOL. I'm totally a sharer!

      Delete
  2. I completely agree. When I first heard of this I was appalled just thinking about the disgusting random flavors people would come up with. Can you believe one of them is gonna get a million dollars?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! None of these people deserve a million dollars.

      Delete
  3. Hi...following from the GFC blog hop. The first two look okay, but I must say, the chicken and waffles look repulsive, lol! Have a good one!

    Michell @Prowess and Pearls
    www.prowessandpearls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was gross but the others weren't any better.

      Delete