MENU

July 4, 2010

Vanderbilt Museum Revisited...

I wanted to post some more of the pictures I took while I was at the Vanderbilt Museum yesterday and give a little background information.

The Vanderbilt Museum is located in Centerport, New York in Suffolk County. It consists of forty-three acres of land that was donated to Suffolk County after the passing of William K. Vanderbilt II in 1944 -- Two million dollars was also left to the county for the upkeep of the grounds and mansion.

The museum consists of the mansion which houses fine art and furnishings, natural history specimens (including a 32 foot whale shark), a mummy, etc. There is also a marine museum on the property, a boathouse, a planetarium (which was added in 1971 by the county), a seaplane hanger and more.

It is a really beautiful place to visit, I'm really glad we went and I'm so happy that it was such a nice day.

No comments :

Post a Comment