Scheduled Hours: 9:00am to 5:00pm
- Spent the first 30 minutes of the day having casual chit chat with "Marie" and my Department Head. (Talked about our weekends, Erin jumping out of a plane because it's her birthday today, etc.)
- Wore a fake mustache for a bit.
- Ate breakfast in between reference questions.
- Canceled a craft program that I was supposed to have on Wednesday because only one person signed up to do it.
- Dealt with several annoying mothers. Mommy #1 was annoyed at our lack of coloring sheets & I had to explain to her why we don't have anymore. Mommy #2 (aka "Bad Mommy #1") forgot yet again to bring in her child's birth certificate even though my Department Head put her in her place the other day.
- Answered texted messages from my friend's boyfriend about a party my sister and I are throwing in a few weeks.
- Dealt with questions pertaining to the kiddie program that was going on throughout the course of the morning.
- Looked through various blogs (The Dainty Squid, Little Messy La, etc.) and Etsy shops to get ideas for crafts.
- Answered some reference questions.
- Got a phone call from a mother looking for her teenage daughter who should have been home already after finishing up her volunteering hours for the day -- Her daughter was still here, she is gabbing with her friends at a table.
- Watched a father walk back and forth from the OPAC to the stacks attempting to find books on his own -- I told him if he needed help I'd get the books for him, he insisted on doing it himself because he didn't wanna "bother" me.
- Tried to find books for a 12-year-old boy that was visiting for the summer from Costa Rica who needed to strength his reading in English.
- Signed up kids for computers.
- Accused a teenage boy of leaving porn running on a computer last time he was in the library.
- Dealt with one of the annoying mothers that comes in with her bad little children. He son wanted a book on the Little Mermaid that wasn't the Disney, but she didn't know what exactly he wanted. So there was a lot of guessing on my part.
- Had meaningless chit chat with "Amy" for a bit.
- Explained to a teenager from out of district why we no longer had a manga club.
- Signed up more kids for computers.
- Told the same girl several times that she needed to stop running in the library -- She didn't listen.
- Helped parents find their kids books from the school summer reading lists.
- Read the Huffington Post.
- Signed someones kid up for the craft that was going on that evening.
- Was inspired to find photos of awesome things made of Legos to show my Department Head after reading an article in the Huffington Post.
- Told my Department Head about said pictures when she came back to work the evening (She was working a split shift).
- Told everyone I'd see them tomorrow.
And that was my day at work. Not very eventful, but not super boring. It was an okay day.