MENU

August 20, 2013

Crazy Ladies & Reading Comprehension...

Oh, did I just have the mother of all "reference" phone calls... I was literately on the phone with this woman for over ten minutes as she explained to me that her daughter was going into tenth grade (Private school) and how she though she needed to read more for pleasure, how she thought that she should read classics (What tenth grader wants to read classics for pleasure?!). Then she starts talking about how she left her house without her purse and only had five dollars on her and then she realized that she could go to an ATM -- She thanked me for whatever I jogged in her brain to get to that. Then she starts talking to me about PSAT books and reading comprehension. She made me read through a PSAT, SAT and English Regents book because she wanted to know about what kind of reading comprehension work was in them. In the middle of all of this she tells me she is in front of a Trader Joe's because she was going to buy some organic figs. At some other point she starts telling me that her daughter's friend was having a $35,000 sweet sixteen and how she told the mom of the girl that she should be spending her money on her child's education, how she wants her own daughter to go to Brown, etc. It was such an odd conversation and it lasted forever (Towards the end of it I was pretending to stab myself in the neck as I was sitting at the reference desk). I mean, she thanked me at the end of it for being so helpful but still, I just wasted minutes of my life that I'm never going to get back and I'm going to have to deal with this lady tomorrow because she had me pull tons of books.

It's been a long time since I've had to deal with someone on the phone like I just did, so I guess it was kinda overdue. But it's still annoying every time it happens. Do any of you deal with people like this at work?

6 comments :